People from any walk of life can find themselves experiencing addiction. Deciding to seek treatment for heroin addiction can be incredibly challenging, but those who participate in a heroin rehab program can find the support and help they need to enter and maintain recovery.
For those in the LGBTQ+ community who are looking for heroin addiction treatment in Minneapolis, Pride Institute provides a recovery-focused environment with programs designed to support you. Since 1986, Pride Institute has served the recovery care needs of the LGBTQ+ community. Call 888.408.1625 today to learn more about our LGBTQ+ substance use disorder treatment programs.
How Is LGBTQ+ Heroin Addiction Treatment Different?
Addiction is a condition that anyone can experience, and with the right help and support, recovery is possible. However, people in the LGBTQ+ community that are experiencing heroin addiction have specific and unique needs that may be better addressed in a treatment program designed with the community in mind.
Although more places than ever are welcoming to people of all identities and experiences, recovery can be a vulnerable, delicate time. Our staff embraces and is accepting of everyone and understands the unique needs of the LGBTQ+ community. You or your loved one can focus fully on recovery while being your authentic self.
Co-occurring Conditions and the LGBTQ+ Community
Co-occurring conditions are mental health conditions that may occur alongside a substance use disorder. Even though co-occurring conditions are found among many people with substance use disorders, it is especially common among people in the LGBTQ+ communities. For this reason, choosing a program designed specifically with LGBTQ+ identified people in mind can ensure that these conditions are identified and properly addressed from the beginning.
LGBTQ+ Substance Use Treatment: Levels of Care
Every client who seeks treatment for heroin addiction is an individual. People must be able to progress in their recovery journey at their own pace and receive the care they need when and how they need it. There are a few different ‘levels’ of recovery care that are often part of a treatment program:
- Residential Treatment – Clients who would benefit from more supervision or more intensive treatment will participate in counseling, group therapy, and other therapeutic activities while staying at the treatment facility full-time. Medical and psychiatric care may also be provided.
- Partial Hospitalization Program – Similar to a residential program, clients participate in counseling and activities every day for most of the day but do not stay overnight in the treatment facility. Some clients begin their recovery journey in this sort of program, while others may transition into it after completing a residential component.
- Intensive Outpatient Program – This type of program is frequently part of ‘stepping down’ from more intensive levels of care. Clients attend the program several days a week but return to their own homes at night. This program is sometimes appropriate for clients who have a stable, recovery-supportive home environment or clients who are farther along on their recovery journey.
Getting treatment in a facility that understands, supports, and validates individuals’ identities is invaluable to the LGBTQ+ community. You are likely to get more out of the experience when you feel comfortable and embraced.
Benefits of Therapy for Addiction Recovery
Some of the most significant benefits of addiction therapy for the recovery process include:
- It can improve communication skills with yourself and others
- It can build self-esteem and confidence
- It provides access to educational and support resources
- It helps clients learn to manage mental health issues in a more productive way
- It helps individuals develop new and healthy coping mechanisms
- It allows for a better understanding of one’s behaviors, which in turn allows for change
- It can help prevent relapse
Help is available for members of the LGBTQ+ community struggling with addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders. Reach out to Pride Institute today to learn more.
Pride Institute: Serving the Recovery Needs of the LGBTQ+ Community Since 1986
At our treatment facilities in Minneapolis and Eden Prairie, our staff members work individually with each client to set treatment goals and develop a recovery plan. We understand the unique needs of the LGBTQ+ community and their loved ones. If you or someone you care about is experiencing heroin addiction, it can empower you to know that the best time to seek help is now. Even though it may seem difficult, with the right care and the support of a strong sober community, recovery is possible. Reach out to our caring and compassionate staff today at 888.408.1625 or via our online form and learn how you can start your recovery journey today.